Release date: September, 2020
Confirmed to be two heroes (with pre-built decks) and five scenarios, with a connected thread and upgrades to earn throughout the expansion. It can also be played standalone or in expert mode. There will be three modular sets in the box (one of them, Hydra Patrol, is previewed below).
It will contain 265 cards, sporting a box “like an L5R premium box.” One copy of the expansion will give you a full playset of cards, like the core. Five new keywords will appear in the expansion: the new ranged keyword ignores retaliate, and piercing discards tough status cards from a target before dealing damage.
The villains are Crossbones, Absorbing Man, Taskmaster, Zola and Red Skull. If you draw Shadows of the Past as Black Widow while fighting the Taskmaster villain, you will “resolve as much as possible” with the card (no Taskmaster nemesis as it is unique) and it will surge. There is no plan to replace Captain Marvel’s signature ally, it just becomes a resource if you’re also playing with the Spider-Woman hero.
Player cards (from Czech publisher)
- Spider-Man: a Justice ally that removes 3 threat per player from a side scheme.
- Earth’s Mightiest Heroes: a 0-cost event that exhausts an Avengers character you control to ready another Avenger you control.
- White Tiger: Removes 3 threat from a scheme after spending a science resource after entering play (she seems to be a campaign-only card, as she is part of the “Taskmaster” set, but is also a player card).
Comic panels are confirmed to facilitate the story in the box. The panel seems to insinuate that Crossbones is the first villain in the campaign. The story hints that Red Skull “plans to conquer the world with the power of the Reality Stone.”
- Crossbones II: While Crossbones has a Weapon attachment, his attacks gain Piercing. When Revealed: Search the encounter deck and discard pile for Crossbones Machine Gun and attach it to Crossbones. Shuffle the encounter deck.
- Absorbing Man II: Absorbing Man gains the trait of each environment in play. When Revealed: If Super Absorbing is in play, deal each player an encounter card. Otherwise, search the encounter deck and discard pile for Super Absorbing and put it into play.
- Taskmaster forces players to discard the top card from the encounter deck and deal damage equal to the boost icons on the card after swapping to hero form.
- Red Skull gets +1 Attack per side scheme in play and has a “side scheme deck.” Source: Asmodee Store.
- Caleb: “It’s a separate side scheme deck so a side scheme is always revealed every round. So Red Skull is always up to something. It’s obviously very challenging, we had to tone down some of the craziness. There’s a lot of replay value with it.
There’s 6-7 different cards in the side scheme deck, and each one is unique. So the order is randomized so it’s going to come together differently every time you play. It’s kind of a callback or homage to a Lord of the Rings LCG mechanic.” Source: Deckcelsior.